StayAway Automatic Pet Deterrents
Item # StayAway001
Product DescriptionThe StayAway will safely and humanely protect your covered porch or patio, potted plants, or counter tops. A motion sensor activates a warning sound and a brief, harmless spray of compressed air to keep your pet away.
Once your pet learns to recognize the warning sound, you can switch to "sound only" mode to conserve compressed air. The motion sensor and spray are separately adjustable so they can be positioned precisely.
Mini ScareCrow Components
Mini ScareCrow Setup
Requires (4) AAA Batteries (not included)
1. Place Mini ScareCrow where you don't want the cat to go (ex: kitchen counters, near plants, etc.)
2. Turn on to sound/spray; wait a few seconds for the motion detector to stabilize itself.
3. For the first few days use the sound/spray mode. A sound then a spray will be released when the motion detector detects the movement of the cat.
4. Once this is repeated a few times, the sound will be enough for the cat to avoid off-limit areas.
5. If you find that the Mini Scarecrow has trouble seeing your pet, try raising it up slightly by sitting it on a book.
FAQMini ScareCrow Frequently Asked Questions
Q: The Mini ScareCrow has trouble seeing my cat.
A: Try elevating the Mini ScareCrow a few inches by placing it on something (a few books for example).
Q: When should I switch to the sound only mode?
A: After a few days using sound/spray, turn off the spray but leave the sound on. Observe your cat: if you notice that the cat no longer reacts to the sound warning, reset to sound/spray mode. You can use both options alternatively on a regular basis.
Q: Can I leave the Mini ScareCrow on continuously?
A: Yes, but if you are in the vicinity of it and your movement is causing it to activate you should turn it off to conserve gas.
Q: Will it help my cat's training to move the Mini ScareCrow around?
A:Yes! In order to generalize your cat's learning, you can move the Mini ScareCrow a few feet away from its original place. This way, your cat will not only avoid one particular area (ex. the corner of your couch) it will soon avoid the area completely.
Q: Is there anything else I should do to help my cat learn?
A: Use positive reinforcement (food or petting) when your cat respects the zone or the redirection principle, ex: : when the cat goes into the plants, give him a toy to play with. By using the redirection principle or positive reinforcement, you contribute to your pet's well-being and you keep the harmony in his little family.
Q: What kind of gas is in the Mini ScareCrow can?
A: The Mini ScareCrow refill contains a gas (HFC134a) that is safe for people, animals and the environment. This scentless spray is stainless, ozone friendly and has no side effects when used as directed. (Please see the precautions section below).
Q: Where can I find more information about the Mini ScareCrow contents?
A: The Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for the Mini ScareCrow contents can be found here: Mini ScareCrow MSDS
Manuals for Contech
Unavailable/discontinued items are listed below for your reference.
Unavailable / Discontinued Items
- SquirrelStop Automatic Bird Feeder Spinning Squirrel Deterrent - SQRSTP-001
- Scat Mat Automatic Indoor Pet Trainer - SCATMAT
- WaterDog Automatic Dog Fountain - WAT-001